Sunday, November 30, 2008

Chapter 17

Two weeks had gone by and Sidney and I had spent every night together since that first one. I’d never been as intoxicated with someone as I was with him. It was an unbelievable feeling and terrifying at the same time. It seemed like nothing else existed except the two of us. Things were perfect. He was perfect. Maybe I’d been wrong all along. I was so hypnotized with our affair that I completely forgot what the date was. I got a rude reminder that Saturday afternoon.

I was going over some files from work when I heard the doorbell ring. I felt like Pavlov’s dog. The doorbell rang and I got butterflies in my stomach. I checked the clock before I got up and saw that it was a little early for it to be Sidney after his pre-game skate, but he must have just gotten out faster than usual. I went to the door with a huge smile on my face. I opened the door prepared to give Sid a kiss when I froze in my tracks.

“Dad!” He was really standing there. Oh no, it was that Saturday. I hugged him as he walked through the door.

“Hi, pumpkin. I thought I’d stop by before the game and catch up. I haven’t talked to you much lately,” he told me. I put a smile on my face even as I prayed Sidney would just go home after skate today and let me call him.

“How did you get here?” I asked not seeing a car.

“I called a cab.” He walked into the living room and sat down on the couch. “So what’s new?” Well, I’ve been sleeping with the league’s leading scorer for the past two weeks.

“Actually, it’s been pretty slow at work lately. Not that I’m complaining. Being busy is usually a bad thing. Other than that things are pretty much how they always are,” is what I actually said.

“The house looks great. I see that you’ve done some more with it since the last time I was here.”

“Oh, that reminds me, I finished downstairs. Come, I’ll show you.” I led my father downstairs to show him what Sidney had dubbed “the game room.” We talked as he looked around and caught up. About half an hour later the doorbell rang again. My heart sank. I knew that this time it was going to be Sidney. As I excused myself and went upstairs I hoped that my father would stay put and I could get Sidney to leave before my father suspected anything. I opened the door and saw Sid standing there. Before saying anything he leaned forward and kissed me. I quickly looked behind me to make sure my father hadn’t followed me up and seen it.

“Sid, now’s not really a good time. I’ll call you later.” I tried shutting the door a bit, but Sidney stepped into the house instead. His smile had faded.

“Why, what’s going on?” I looked behind me again checking for my dad, but he still wasn’t there.

“I really just need to talk to you later. I’ll explain then, okay?” He didn’t move and instead looked at me suspiciously.

“Who’s here?” he asked. He thought there was another guy in the house. Technically there was, but not in the way he thought. This was the worst situation I’d been in in a long time.

“No one, why?”

“Why do you keep looking behind you? It’s like you’re afraid someone is going to come walking out.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. Please, I’ll come by in an hour and we’ll talk then, okay?” My heart dropped as I heard footsteps coming up behind me. I saw Sidney’s face turn from suspicion to surprise.

“Sidney Crosby?” I heard my father ask from behind me. Too late. This was not good. “What are you doing at my daughter’s house?” Sid looked from my dad to me. I just shrugged. Busted.

“Sidney, this is my father-“

“Larry Robinson, I know,” he said cutting me off. He walked over to my dad and shook his hand. “I actually came by to drop a ticket off for tonight’s game.” My dad looked over at me and I could see that he was figuring things out.

“That’s really nice of you, but I already have one from my dad.” I turned to look at my father. “Sidney actually lives just two streets over.”

“How did you two meet?” he asked. Before I could respond Sidney spoke up. I closed my eyes feeling the start of a headache when I heard his response.

“We actually met out at a bar in town. We talked for a bit and a few days later I brought my dog, Shooter, who I had just gotten to a vet and she turned out to be the vet I was going to. Even more coincidentally my car blew a tire outside her house not long after and I had to borrow a jack from her. We’ve been hanging out ever since that all happened last year.” My father looked over at me and I knew what was coming next.

“That is very coincidental. You met at a bar? I shouldn’t be worried, should I?” he asked. He said it in a way that would sound like a joke, but I knew he wasn’t joking. I jumped in before Sidney could say anything more damaging.

“Dad, don’t worry about it. We’re just friends. Come on, you know me better than that. Like I would ever date a hockey player.” I looked over at Sidney and winced when I saw his jaw clench and the hurt in his eyes.

“Well, I’ve got to be going and prepare for the game tonight. I guess I’ll see you again tonight,” he said looking at my father. I opened my mouth to say something but he cut me off. “I know, I know, don’t play too well against your precious Devils tonight.” The sarcasm felt like a stab to the heart. Without another word he left, slamming the door behind him.

“Loralei, I don’t care if you want to hear it or not, but I’ve told you about dating hockey players. You need to stay away from them. Especially someone like him. He’s so high profile that he’s the last person you want to get involved with. There are girls all over the place throwing themselves at players like him. I was right before, wasn’t I?” I didn’t want to hear it. I fought back the tears and turned and walked toward the kitchen.

“Can I get you something to drink?” I asked.

2 comments:

mare said...

aww, poor sid. wonder how she explains herself to him.

cant wait for the next update.

Val said...

wow, that threw me for a loop in how she treated Sid - I'm with Mare - I wonder how she will explain herself...more soon, please!