Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Chapter 27

So I didn't even realize that the last chapter sounded so final until I reread it later. I've still got a couple of chapters left and I've already started writing a new story so there will be plenty to read.





I smiled as I looked over at Sidney, who was curled up to me and asleep. I was on my back and his forehead was resting against my shoulder. His right arm was thrown over my stomach and his right leg was slung over both of mine. I wasn’t much of a napper but since I hadn’t been able to work I’d started curling up with him when he took his pre-game nap.

It had all started with the first game he had after I moved in. I was only half conscious in bed thanks to the painkillers when Sid came in for his nap. I vaguely remember apologizing for being in the way and interrupting his routine but couldn’t bring myself to get out of bed. He’d smiled and crawled into bed next to me telling me not to worry, he slept better when I was there anyway. I gave into the drugs and fell asleep in his arms. He’d gone out and had a 5 point night.

Now I was just enjoying the view. In a few days it would be Monday and I would be able to go back to work. There were only three more games in the regular season before playoffs and I knew my time napping with Sidney was coming to an end. Even if I wasn’t at all tired, I was going to enjoy the time I had left. A little while later his alarm went off. He groaned and without opening his eyes he found my lips with his.

“Can you call the league and tell them to delay the game by an hour? I’m not ready to get up yet,” he joked. I laughed and kissed his forehead before moving out from under him.

“I can see it now. ‘NHL delays game so Crosby can stay in bed with opposing coach’s daughter’.” The Penguins were playing their last regular season game against the Devils that night.

“Your dad wouldn’t mind. He likes me now,” Sid said getting out of bed.

“Only if you don’t score tonight,” I told him as I made the bed. He laughed at me and I looked up to see him shaking his head. “What?”

“You are the biggest neat freak I’ve ever met.” I narrowed my eyes at him, but knew he was right.

“And you’re the biggest slob I’ve ever met. It’s a good thing you moved me in here. I don’t know how you lived in all that filth before.” He came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist giving me a kiss on the cheek.

“Are we going to dinner with your father after, or is he heading straight back?” he asked.

“They’re playing in Philly tomorrow so they’re staying here overnight. Is that okay?” He pulled away and walked into the closet.

“It’s fine.”

I watched him get dressed and pouted when he put a shirt on. A body that perfect should never be covered up. When he was ready he kissed me goodbye and I got into the shower. An hour later I was in Brianne’s car on my way to dinner.

I chose not to cheer during this particular game. I knew the guys on both teams, and I loved a guy on each side. It just wouldn’t be fair to pick one over the other. Sidney had to go be a smart ass and score the game winner in overtime. I rolled my eyes when he looked up in my direction and pointed, but couldn’t keep myself from laughing. We met my father for dinner, where dad good naturedly told Sidney that if he were still playing Sidney would have been on his ass before he got the shot off.

A month later both teams were out of the playoffs in the Conference Semis. I was sad knowing that in just another week Sidney would be flying back up to Cole Harbour while I stayed here. I cried every time I saw Sidney pack something, and he began to pack at night while I was sleeping to avoid the scene.

“Babe, you’re flying up in three weeks,” he said to me as I watched him throw his shoes into a bag.

“I’m not crying because you’re leaving. I’m crying because of how you’re treating those poor shoes,” I joked. He walked over and put his arms around me.

“Time will fly. You’re back working and Phoebe, Reagan, and Sheila promised to keep you busy. You’ll be up visiting before you know it.” I nodded into his shoulder, but it didn’t make the tears stop.

Eventually Sidney got his packing done with no help from me. It was his last night in town and he said he wanted to take me out one last time. We grabbed our usual Italian and talked over a bottle of wine. When we left dinner he told me we had one more stop to make. I was confused but followed him into a jewelry store.

“What exactly are we doing in here?” I asked him.

“Pick something,” he said.

“Pick something? Sidney, this is ridiculous. You know I don’t need any jewelry.” He rolled his eyes at me.

“I know you don’t need any, but I want you to have something. Walk around, find something. Anything you want, you get.”

I wanted to argue with him but knew there was no use. Sid waited by the entrance while I walked around looking in each of the cases. At one point I saw him chatting up one of the salespeople. As I made my way around the store trying to find something I liked that wasn’t too expensive I found myself in front of the engagement rings.

I glanced back to Sidney who wasn’t paying any attention to me at all. I didn’t want him to catch me looking at them in case it would freak him out. Even though an engagement ring wasn’t what I was looking for, I couldn’t help but admire them. I’d been dreaming of my wedding day since I was a kid and I loved everything about weddings. I stopped walking when I spotted what to me would be the perfect ring. It was a large single princess cut diamond on a white gold band accented with smaller diamonds around the band.

“See something you like?” one of the salespeople asked me. I glanced over at Sidney once more before answering. He was now on his phone and practically had his back to me.

“That ring is beautiful,” I whispered to make sure he couldn’t hear me.

“Would you like to try it on?” she asked. I shook my head.

“Oh, no. I was just admiring it. I’m not looking for something like that,” I told her. I quickly moved away from the engagement ring section. I finally settled on a simple alexandrite necklace and earring set since it was my birthstone. Sidney insisted I wear them home, even though no one would see them.

“They look beautiful on you,” he said kissing me as we walked out the door.

“Thank you so much for getting them for me,” I told him wrapping my arms around his neck. We kissed for as long as we dared before making our way back to his car and heading home.

The next morning came much too quickly and the second the alarm went off tears came to my eyes. Sidney laughed at me when he saw me, and did his best to kiss the tears away. It was completely irrational to be this upset when someone was only leaving for a few weeks, but I couldn’t help it. I drove him to the airport and hugged him for an eternity before finally letting him go.

“I’ll see you in three weeks,” he said putting his forehead to mine.

“I can’t wait.”

“I love you, Loralei. I’ll miss you.”

“I love you too.” He kissed me one last time and I watched him walk inside the airport. I stood there until he was out of sight and even a bit longer, unable to move. It wasn’t until a police officer asked me if I could move my car that I finally left.

I got back to the house and walked inside. It felt weird being there by myself knowing that Sidney was gone. I’d never had a problem living alone before but now I felt my stomach clenching. About an hour later the doorbell rang. I was surprised when I answered the door.

“What are you guys doing here?” I asked as Phoebe, Reagan, and Sheila walked past me carrying bags.

“We’re moving in,” Sheila said leading the pack up the stairs to the guest bedrooms.

“It was something Sidney asked us to do. He thought maybe you’d be afraid to be home by yourself,” Phoebe added.

“We’ll be in and out, but someone will always be here with you at night,” Reagan finished. I smiled at them as I followed them upstairs.

“He was right. I’m glad you guys are here,” I thanked them giving them each a hug. Sidney always thought of everything.

2 comments:

Val said...

Love her taste in rings, and love her girlfriends!

I am so glad you are going to be writing more - I can't say it enough, I think you do a great job!

Lauren said...

I agree with everything Val said - keep up the great work!